My FIAR pages are a work in progress. Check back often for updates.
- What is Steam? Heat water in the tea kettle. When boiling hold a mirror over the opening in the spout and observe what happens. Discuss how water becomes steam and is able to move into the air. ADULT SUPERVISION REQUIRED
- Steam Shovel in action – more videos here
- Big Brutus, and here – Second Largest Steam Shovel in the world
- Other steam powered machines: Photos and pocket
Language Arts/Character Traits
- Egermeier’s Bible Story Book – How the World was Made (Orderly) (all week)
- Characters, personification and more at HSS
- Character Traits: Stewardship, Flexibility
- Stewardship at HSS
- Orderly at Hubbard’s Cupboard (all week)
- Thriftiness at Character Journal
- Drawing Trees
- Build the new town hall with blocks, Legos, Lincoln Logs, etc.
- Visit and observe (safely!) a construction site.
- Practice road building/engineering digging in the sand. (Geotrax?)
- Practice digging “four straight walls, neat and square,” in sandbox
Poem: Steam Shovel by Charles Malam
The dinosaurs are not all dead.
I saw one raise its iron head
To watch me walking down the road
Beyond our house today.
Its jaws were dripping with a load
Of earth and grass that it had cropped.
It must have heard me where I stopped,
Snorted white steam my way,
And stretched its long neck out to see,
And chewed, and grinned quite amiably.
- Make squares of different sizes on a geoboard
- Learn about Simple Machines
- Learn about the five basic shapes
- Lots of shape lesson plans
- Movie: The Magic School Bus Gets Energized
- Make a Pinwheel Turbine
- Label/Discuss the parts of a steam engine
- Simple Machines at ABCTeach
Food/Snack Ideas (Have any? Please share!)